Skip to content

International Student Admissions

Lansing Community College (LCC) is a fully accredited, highly respected academic institution that welcomes international students to share their global and cultural experience. LCC offers degrees and/or certificates in Arts and Communication; Business, Management, Marketing and Technology; Engineering/Manufacturing and Industrial Technology; Health Sciences; Human Services; Natural Resources and Agriscience. Students can receive a world class education in preparation for living as global citizens while being supported through outstanding campus resources and student services. To learn more about the Lansing Community College campus and its students, go to Facts at a Glance.

Who is an International Student?

Individuals who are admitted to the United States in a temporary, non-resident status (any type of visa) are considered as international students.
Individuals admitted to the United States as refugees, immigrants, or resident aliens (green card) are not considered as international students.

What are the Admission Requirements for F-1 or M-1 visa holders?

Must be 18 years of age at the time your first semester of attendance begins. However, you may apply up to one year in advance of your planned start date.

  1. Please use the F1 or M1 International Students Application Form if you are outside of the US, are in the US but have not attended any US college or university or want to change your current visa type to F-1 or M-1 visa.
  2. Provide completed LCC Financial Resources Form with required supporting documents.
  3. Proof of completion of secondary (high school) education. See High School Documents for more information.
  4. A brief personal statement explaining your previous educational and employment background and your future educational and career plans.
  5. Provide proof of competency in the English Language (see English competency). Test reports must be received directly from the testing center.

You may submit all of these items as email attachments to You will receive an email stating that your application materials have arrived.

Transfer Students

Students currently attending another U.S. college and intend to come to LCC, obtain a LCC Form I-20, and work toward a program of study must submit the following documents in addition to the documents listed above:

  1. A copy of your current Form I-20, front and back.
  2. A photocopy of the current visa page from your passport.
  3. A photocopy of your current I-94 card.
  4. A completed LCC transfer in form.

An official copy of your current US college transcript sent directly from your current school to the Records Office at LCC is required. Transcripts issued to a student (even if in a sealed envelope) are not accepted for admission. The mailing address is Records Office, Lansing Community College, 411 W Grand Ave, Lansing MI 48933-1215.

High School Documents

A certified copy or original of the primary document in your country that shows completion of studies may be used as proof of successful completion of U.S. high school equivalency. A transcript that shows all courses taken, grades received and graduation date, or a certificate of national examination results, or some other document may be used too. A certified copy is an original document or attested (signed with official stamp or seal) photocopy that has been issued by the educational institution or government agency responsible for issuing the document. An official English translation must accompany the document.

If you have not yet completed the last year of high school, you may still apply, Submit an official transcript showing the courses you have completed and a letter in English from your school stating that you are currently enrolled and your expected date of completion. You will be required to provide proof of completion when you arrive at LCC.

Official college or university document can be submitted in place of high school completion documents. If you have completed college or university work in the United States, please read the section titled Transfer Credit.

Transfer Credit

If you have completed course work at another college or university, either in the United States or another country, you may choose to apply for transfer credit by submitting an official transcript from your previous school. If your transcript is being submitted from a school outside of Michigan, course descriptions may be required. It is the students’ responsibility to provide the necessary materials for a transcript evaluation to occur.

Official transcripts are mailed or electronically delivered directly from school to school. Hand delivered transcripts, even sealed in envelopes, are not accepted for transfer credit evaluation but may be used for academic advising or counseling.

How to Apply for Foreign Transfer Credit

Request a credit evaluation report prepared by a member organization of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services, Inc. (NACES) to be sent directly to LCC at Records Office, Lansing Community College, 411 W Grand Ave, Lansing MI 48933-1215.

Please contact one of the NACES member organizations listed at to obtain a credit evaluation request form.

Financial Aid and Scholarships

Very few financial aid opportunities exist for international students to study in the United States at the undergraduate level.

LCC offers Foundation scholarships every year for qualified students. For more information, please visit

Personal Representative

Sometimes applicants have a friend or relative in the United States who has agreed to assist them in getting admitted to a U.S. school. If you wish LCC to provide information about your application status or your Form I-20 to someone other than yourself, you must give LCC written permission to do this. If you name a personal representative, you should make sure that the individual has agreed to assist you.

Type or write a letter that provides the name, address and telephone number of your personal representative. The letter should indicate that the person is authorized to act as your personal representative and if he/she is to receive correspondence regarding your admission application and Form I-20. You must type or print your name at the bottom of the letter as it appears on your application and sign and date the statement.

Authorization for Personal Representative needs to come directly from the student.

Guest Students

Students with an F-1 or M-1 visa who are currently attending another U.S. college and intend to take a small number of classes at LCC are considered as guest students. Completion of the online application for International Guest F-1 or M-1 student is required. No other application forms or documents are needed. International guest students do not receive a Form I-20 from LCC.

English Competency (F-1, M-1 Visa)

An official score report from one of the following tests is required as proof of English competency. An official score report is sent directly from the testing company to LCC. Score reports cannot be more than two (2) years old. Score reports sent by applicants are not official. They will be reviewed but no Form I-20 will be issued until receipt of the official score report.

  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
    • ELSP admission – Total score between 45 and 60 or more with no section score below 10
    • Academic admission – Total score of 61 or more with no section score below 15
  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
    • ELSP admission – Total score of 5.0 or more with no section score below 4.5
    • Academic admission – Total score of 6.0 with no section score below 6.0
  • LCC Placement Tests (proctoring available)
    • ELSP admission – ESL Level 1
      Academic admission – Reading Level 5 and Writing Level 6

Note: Students with Reading Levels 2, 3 or 4 and Writing Levels 2, 3, 4 or 5 may be admitted to take the LCC Bridge program which contains courses designed to assist students in building their skills to be fully college level ready. Most of these courses do not count toward an Associate Degree and most will not transfer to United States universities.
Applicants educated in countries where English is the language of the education system are exempt from the English competency test requirements.

Instruction in English as a Second Language

LCC offers full-time English language study in the English Language Studies Program (ELSP) that meets the requirements of the F-1 and M-1 visa.

Students with visas other than the F-1 or M-1 may also be eligible to take courses in English as a Second Language (ESL) through the LCC Center for Transitional Learning.

Back to top

Application Dates

When Should I Apply for Admission?

You may apply up to one year in advance for admission to the start date you desire. (If you have not yet completed high school, see requirements).

If your application materials arrive too late to be processed for the semester you entered on your application, you will be instructed by email how to choose a future semester. Lansing Community College makes the final decision on which semester you will be admitted.

Applications are processed in the order received. Normal processing time is 2-3 weeks. Acceptance documents including the Form I-20 needed to obtain the F-1 or M-1 student visa are shipped by express delivery to your home country address. If you are already here in the country, your admission packet will be mailed to your US address.

Applicants outside the US should apply as early as possible to allow adequate time for mailing delays, obtaining a visa and making travel arrangements. Visa processing times are different in each country.

Priority processing dates (out of the US):

  • May 1st for all documents to be received in our office for fall semester.
  • October 1st for all documents to be received in our office for spring semester.

Applicants inside the US who plan to exit the US before starting classes at LCC should use the priority processing date for applicants outside the US.

 Priority processing dates (in the US):

  • July 1st for all documents to be received in our office for fall semester.
  • November 1st for all documents to be received in our office for spring semester.

Note to All Applicants: We recommend that you submit your documents as soon as possible as admission to LCC is not guaranteed so you may need time to make alternate arrangements. Documents received after the dates above will be reviewed in the order received. We cannot guarantee that all documents will be reviewed and admission decisions made in time for the requested semester.


Orientation is a mandatory formal program of introduction to Lansing Community College. Orientation for new international students is held approximately 2 weeks before classes begin. During the orientation program you will receive information about USDHS regulations related to international students, LCC services, academic and program advising. Additional information regarding orientation will be mailed with the acceptance letter.


LCC does not maintain housing units for students, or enter into third party contracts or supervise off-campus housing. Home stay placements are not arranged by LCC. The Student Life Office offers a housing information service. This service consists of listings from property owners regarding available housing (type, location, cost), and listings from students looking for others to share housing. This information is available at Student Housing.

It is recommended that new students arrive in the Lansing area 1 or 2 weeks before orientation to have adequate time to arrange for housing. Many Lansing city bus routes stop at the campus, so travel to classes is easy.

Back to top

Estimated Costs for International Students

2017-18 Academic Year Estimated Cost for F-1 or M-1 Visa

Estimated costs for one year of full-time study at Lansing Community College are as follows:

Tuition and fees 1


Room and board 2


Books and supplies 3


Health insurance 4


Transportation 5


Miscellaneous 6


Total Estimate


1 - Based on full-time enrollment of 12 credit hours per semester during the academic year and 6 credit hours during the summer session. Tuition and fees is based on $347 per billing hour. Tuition and fees are subject to change at any time upon action of the Board of Trustees.

2 - Includes a 12-month lease. This cost estimate is based on modest accommodations in the college community, with the student preparing most meals at home.

3 - Based on purchase or rental of a combination of new or used textbooks for an average academic program. Certain specialties may have higher costs.

4 - Health insurance is strongly encouraged.  Students may purchase insurance in their own countries or they may purchase student insurance from companies in the United States.

5 - Based on public transportation. Does not include purchase price of private auto or transportation to and from the United States.

6 - Included are such items as clothing for four seasons, laundry and personal grooming articles, cultural and leisure events.

Important Note: It is the responsibility of the student to make arrangements for housing and meals. Upon arrival, you are expected to have funds available to pay for classes and other expenses. Also, determine how and when your sponsor will provide funds to you to make sure that you have adequate finances for your living and educational expenses throughout the year. Lansing Community College does not have any financial assistance or emergency funds available for international students.

Back to top

Areas of Study

For the F-1 or M-1 student visa, a program of study must be listed on the Form I-20; therefore, you must list a curriculum on your application. Curricular guides list the course and graduation requirements for each area of study at LCC. Be sure to note the exact name and number of the curriculum that you choose on your application.

Certificate and Associate Degree Programs

Certificate programs are only eligible for the M-1 visa period. Students with an M-1 visa may NOT change to the F-1 visa to extend their study to the Associate degree level without returning to their home country.

Choose a program of study that is a certificate (less than two years) or Associate degree program. Our academic advisors will be happy to assist you during your studies at LCC to develop your educational and career plans.

Transfer Programs

Transfer programs require additional study at the university level resulting in the Bachelor's degree. If your long-term educational goal is to obtain the Bachelor's degree, you should select a transfer program rather than an Associate degree career program.

During your study at LCC, our  academic advisors will be available to assist you in preparing to complete an Associate degree or obtaining information about completing a transfer program, including preparing for admission to the transfer institution of your choice. It is the student's responsibility to meet the admission requirements of the transfer institution. View the transfer program list.

Online Course of Study

This type of program would be designed for students who plan to remain in their home country while pursuing a program of study at LCC. For more information  view online programs.

Back to top

Visa Information

The visa given to you is determined by the purpose of your trip to the U.S. Each visa category has a set of Department of Homeland Security (DHS) regulations that govern the activities you may engage in while in the U.S. The length of time required to obtain a visa and the method of applying vary at each U.S. Embassy or Consulate. Check with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate for information on the process currently in effect.

Student Visa (F-1 or M-1)

LCC offers programs that meet the requirements of the F-1 (academic) and M-1 (vocational) student visas. The Form I-20 is issued with the acceptance letter to students in the United States who already have the F-1 or M-1 student visa. Form I-20s and photocopies of financial documents are issued to applicants outside the United States with the acceptance letter. Students in the United States who intend to apply for a change of visa to F-1 or M-1 will receive the Form I-20 during a personal interview with a Designated School Official (DSO) after admission has been granted.
Form I-20s are never issued before admission is approved. Form I-20s, in accordance with DHS regulations, are mailed directly to the student unless the student has named a personal representative (see Personal Representative section).


The spouse (wife or husband) and children under age 21 of an individual are called dependents. Individuals entering the United States on the student visa (F-1 or M-1) are eligible to apply at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate to bring their dependents with them. The dependents can also apply later to for a  F-2 or M-2 visa travel to the United States to join the student. The student (or applicant if not yet admitted) must show that financial resources are available to support any dependents brought to the United States. Dependents, according to DHS regulations, may not work under any circumstances. For additional information on bringing dependents to the U.S., please review Fact Sheet #7, Requesting a Form I-20 for Dependents.

Change of Visa Status

When your purpose for remaining in the United States has changed from your original intention, you will need to request a change of visa status from the USDHS.

If you want to apply for a change-of-status while in the United States to the F-1 or M-1 visa, Lansing Community College can assist you, but it is the USDHS that makes the decision to approve or deny your request. You must first obtain admission to LCC by following the directions for F-1 or M-1 student visa admission. After admission, an appointment will be scheduled for you to meet with a DSO who will explain the USDHS form required to request change-of-status. The USDHS currently charges $370 (non-refundable) to process this form.

You should apply to for a change-of-status at least 30 days before your current visa expires. It can take several months for your request to be processed by the USDHS. However, you can remain in the United States while your request is being considered, even if your current visa expires during this time.

Some visa categories are not eligible to change status while in the United States. If you have questions about your particular situation, please contact our office for additional assistance.

Back to top

Links and Resources for International Students

You can also check:

International Club at LCC
The Lansing Community College International Club helps international students adjust to the American education system, meet new people, and learn about other cultures.
The International Club is for any LCC student.

English Language Studies Program
The English Language Studies Program (ELSP) provides English instruction primarily to students from around the world who want to improve their English language skills before beginning academic course work at the college level.

Find your way
You will learn how to get to LCC's main campus and off-campus learning centers, locate services and transportation alternatives as well as view LCC's campus activities and facilities. For more information visit the website: Find Your Way  

Online Learning
Online Learning allows students to take courses via the internet. A variety of courses are available online which apply to many LCC majors. Currently, virtual college students can earn a general associates degree with an emphasis in business entirely on-line. This type of program would be designed for students who plan to remain in their home country while pursuing a program of study at LCC. For more information visit the Online Learning website.

Where can I get Additional Information About LCC?

For general information about the school, you may visit the Star Zone in the Gannon Building. During semesters, the office is open Monday through Thursday 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., and Friday 8 a.m. to 4 pm. You may call (517) 483-1200 for telephone assistance.

If you are outside the Lansing area, contact us by using e-mail at Please make sure your e-mail message includes your name. You can FAX your questions to us at (517) 483-9645. If you are sending a fax to us from outside the United States, we recommend that you type or print your document including your name in black ink slightly larger to make sure that it is legible and easy to read. Our FAX machine is active 24 hours each day.

If you would like to use the mail to contact us, please use the following address (USA is only required if you are outside the United States):

1130 - Global Student Services
Lansing Community College
411 N Grand Ave
Lansing, Michigan 48933-1215

Each inquiry is answered in the order it is received. If you are requesting that we mail something to you, please allow 3 weeks for delivery. If you are asking us to answer your inquiry by FAX or e-mail, please allow a minimum of 3 business days.

Back to top

International Forms and fact sheets

Back to top

International Guest Students

International Guest Students Requirements

Students who are currently attending another US college/university must have permission to attend a small number of classes at LCC from the international student office at the college that issued their Form I-20s or DS-2019s. New applicants should apply on-line at Please be certain to select the International Guest Application from the choices. Guest admission does not qualify the student for a Form I-20 from LCC.

It is the school which issued your Form I-20 or DS-2019 form that determines your requirements for: 1) maintaining your visa status while attending LCC; 2) course selections and number of credits to be taken at LCC; 3) whether your LCC credits will be accepted for transfer credit; and 4) how many times you may attend LCC as a guest.

International guest students, regardless of the tuition arrangement at their regular school, are charged the international tuition rate at LCC. The Fall semester 2016 rate is $347 per billing hour. (Tuition rates are subject to change at any time by decision of the LCC Board of Trustees.)

International Guest Students Placement Tests

All students must meet course requirements for enrollment. Placement tests or proof of successful completion of prerequisite courses may be required. Guest students are advised to check course requirements listed in the schedule book prior to registration. Students who desire a waiver of placement tests or other prerequisites based on previous course work completed at their former or current US college/university should request a waiver. The completed waiver request form and an unofficial transcript from your current US college/university can be submitted to the LCC Advising Center, StarZone in the Gannon Building for review. Completed waiver request forms may also be dropped at LCC East, LCC West, LCC North and Livingston County Center.

LCC students desiring guest approval

LCC international students who wish to attend another US college/university as a guest student need to discuss their plans with the Principal Designated School Official (PDSO). Guest approval is not automatic. A number of visa status regulations must be considered before a decision regarding guest approval can be made. For this reason, students are advised to discuss with the PDSO their plans well in advance of the admission deadline at the other school.

You may email your questions to Please enter "International Guest Admissions" in the subject line

Back to top


Support Services at Lansing Community College

Susan Muma, Associate Dean of Center for Student Support
Gannon Building - StarZone - Campus Resources Desk
Phone: (517) 483-1924