Skip to content

State Authorization

What is State Authorization?

State Authorization allows Lansing Community College (LCC) to offer postsecondary distance educational activities. The State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) is an agreement among member states establishing similar national standards for interstate offering of postsecondary educational courses and programs, while also maintaining compliance standards with state regulatory agencies. Institutions participating in SARA can offer postsecondary educational opportunities in all 49 SARA member states - including the District of Columbia, U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico - without having to seek separate approval. Participation in SARA is voluntary and is intended to simplify the process for students who desire to take online courses offered by postsecondary institutions in another state.

LCC is a participating member of SARA, and therefore authorized to offer postsecondary distance education to persons residing in member states in accordance with SARA established policies and standards.


As an out-of-state public institution, LCC is not under the purview of the California Bureau of Private Postsecondary Education, thus Bureau approval for LCC to offer distance education programs to residents of California is not required. Therefore, LCC is in compliance with California regulations concerning postsecondary distance education.



Lansing Community College (LCC) is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC), which is an institutional accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. To learn more about the HLC, visit the HLC website.

Student Complaint Information

Lansing Community College (LCC) provides students with a fair and efficient process to present and resolve complaints relating to matters of academic and non-academic concern, and to have those complaints heard in a fair and impartial manner.

LCC distance education students wishing to file a formal complaint must first seek resolution through LCC's Dispute Process. If a complaint cannot be resolved internally after exhausting the College's complaint procedures, distance education students who reside in SARA states (AL, AK, AZ, AR, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, HI, IA, ID, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MA, ME, MD, MI, MN, MO, MS, MT, NC, ND, NE, NH, NJ, NM, NV, NY, OH, OK, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT, WA, WI, WV, WY) may file a complaint with the Michigan State Portal Entity that has jurisdiction over Michigan SARA-approved institutions.

Students who do not reside in an SARA state, or if the SARA process has not helped solve the issue, may file a complaint with the State Agency in the student's state of residence.

For Michigan residents, complaints involving public university consumer protection violations may be directed to Office of the Attorney General of the State of Michigan; Consumer Protection Division; P.O. Box 30213; Lansing, MI 48909‐7713.

The HLC will accept complaints related to general practices that may affect accreditation. For further information regarding the complaint procedure, visit the Higher Learning Commission website or contact them directly at 230 South LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500, Chicago, IL 60604-1411.

Professional Licensure

Students considering an academic program that leads to a professional license should seek guidance from the appropriate licensing agency in that state BEFORE beginning the academic program at Lansing Community College (LCC). It is the student's responsibility to contact the appropriate licensing board to confirm whether an LCC program will meet the requirements for licensure in respective state.

International Students

International students are advised to understand the rules, regulations, and requirements related to online distance education programs in their country of residence; if the country will recognize an online degree; whether the program meets licensure or certification requirements in the country; and if the country charges any additional withholdings, taxes or fees affiliated with online distance education programs.

Refund Policy

It shall be the College policy to refund tuition and fees according to the following, except where superseded by law, to a student who properly withdraws from a class. To learn more, visit the College Refund Policy.

Student Affairs Division

Student Affairs Division
Gannon Building
2nd Floor - StarZone
Phone: (517) 483-1200
Additional contact information »

Facebook Twitter YouTube